Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Not Funny!


When it comes to April Fool's Day most people's feelings are not indifferent toward the day. You either love it or hate it. No gray area here. I have a theory to go along with this as well. You love the holiday (if it can be considered such) if you're one of those individuals who enjoys making other people's lives a living hell. If you're a person who's life is made hellish by these individuals, you probably despise April 1st. Am I right? That's what I thought.

I think when we're children, April Fool's Day gives us an excuse to act silly for 24 hours without having to answer for it (much). As we grow older, as in the teenage years, the pranks and wileyness grow to out-of-control proportions and we learn what it means to be a shit head... and revel in it. As we mature into adults, the allure of the day is all but lost, and that's ok with the majority of us. However, there are those out there that just can't seem to get past having an excuse to be a shit head without having to atone for their actions. I will never understand them.

I remember doing silly things when I was younger. So silly, in fact, I can't seem to remember any of them. I'm not generally someone who likes to play jokes. Then there is the one prank I wish I could take back. It was just plain mean. A few years back a coworker and I decided to play a prank on our boss. We arranged for someone to call and tell her we'd been in a really bad car accident and had to be flown to the hospital. Just as she'd hung up the phone, we walked back into her office and said, "Suprise!" Let's just say, she was less than amused. And I don't know if I've ever felt so horrible in my life. What the hell were we thinking?

The other reason I don't care for today is because I'm the one who forgets it's April 1st, and believes the totally bogus things I hear/read, etc. I stopped by my favorite RPattz site today to find a post about Nikki Reed (aka Rosalie) being pregnant with his baby. Then I read further and realized it was a joke. Ha Ha. Really, I'm not laughing. A similar thing happened during my aforementioned prank. While we were sitting in the car concocting our scheme the DJ on the radio came on to say that Tupac was indeed alive and ready to release a new album. It took me a few minutes to remember it was April 1st. And we were even doing our own plotting!

I know, I'm effing gullible. But only about stupid shit. Usually. Except for the fact that I trust people way too easily. Maybe I'm more gullible that I thought. Damnit! Remember the bartender from Vegas? Yeah. Me too. I guess I need to be more skeptical and less gullible. It would make my life a hell of a lot easier! And less embarrassing!

And P.S. Can someone send a message to the effing weather and tell it to stop effing snowing!?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't necessarily hate aprils fools but is sure don't like it either. It's a waste of a "holiday" and you don't even get of work or school for it. I don't play pranks really.
but today, ahh, i did call my house and tell my little brother who is on spring break that his school burnt down and he got the rest of the year off. It was lame, I admit, but kind of funny to hear his 10 year old reaction.

as for the weather... well I am with you. I JUST WANT SPRING :)

Adlibby said...

there's no chocolate... no gifts... who cares?!! Plus, I am so freakin' gullible that I will fall for anything anybody's selling. Best to hide and watch today. ;)

steenky bee said...

I totally agree with Adlibby. April Fool's Day needs to be incorporated into one of the waxy-chocolate holidays.

*Just Jen* said...

Yah, I used to like the holiday. But now I don't. Obvious reasons.... Thanks for the sweet comment.....And thanks for the *hug*.

Ms. Salti said...

KL - I'm sure your brother didn't appreciate finding out he actually had to return to school!

Adlibby & Steenkybee - Bring on the chocolate... oh wait, I just had some!

Jen - You're welcome! Let's hate today together!

Needsleepy said...

April Fool's.....sigh. Not so much for the pranks myself. I don't know, I do not see it funny most of the time, just mean. Because like you said...the old they get the more they cross the line. But hey, I can laugh at myself...but when they are cruel, well that is another story....

Anyway, I have an award for you on my post! Gratz

Jaime said...

no kidding... it's april fools day today? i've seriously been so busy that i didn't notice. what a waste of a "holiday"

Auri said...

dude... I think it's funny that you were 'so' busy today at work that you were able to blog this much. you weren't really at work were you? your idea of an april fools joke huh? btw... you're popular.

Anonymous said...

The weather is crap here too. I think it's supposed to snow tomorrow.

Saskia said...

If I wasn't so guillible I think I'd love it, but I'm afraid that Mr B would out-wit me every time!

x

Ms. Salti said...

Needsleepy - Exactly... more mean than funny, which means it's not funny!

Jaime - You better be billing those hours, girl!

Aurs - I never said I was 'busy' - I just said I was still 'at work'. Sadly I was at work. Thanks for dinner last night... it was delish!

SB - Seriously, the weather needs to shape up!

Saskia - Tell Mr. B to be nice to you or I'll kick his butt!