I went to brunch with Jessica (aka Wikiball) on Sunday and had such a great time. She and I haven't been to breakfast/brunch in a very long time and when I woke up craving a Dutch Baby, I gave her a call. It was raining and we spent the entire 3o minutes of our wait outside in the rain, but managed to enjoy ourselves. We chit chatted about all the normal everyday stuff like what went on during the week and all of that. We talked about my online dating and how that was going. And then we spent a lot of time talking about life and growing up and how awesome our friends are. We run around with a lot of the same people but have different circles we chill with as well.
I can't remember what started us on the subject but we were talking about maturity and being an adult and all the fun stuff that comes along with it. I think we talked about insecurities as well. We talked a lot about growing up and how much people change individually in the course of just a few years. From 20-25 I did a lot of growing and learning. Looking back at that time, I felt like I couldn't possibly grow quite as much as I had in so few years. Now, looking back from 25 to the present, I can't believe how much I've continued to grow. I'm trying to become the woman I dream of being and I know that I have a lot of work yet to be completed. It absolutely amazes me, though.
About two months ago, Jessica told me she was planning on moving to Boston within the next year. The old me (young, passive/aggressive) would have taken this news slightly personally.
"Why is she moving"
"Am I not a good enough friend to keep her here?"
"Why can't I move away and have fun adventures, too?"
While the older and more mature me embraced the news (was sad for a minute, and still am slightly sad about it) and congratulated her for making such a hard decision and following through with completing one of her biggest life goals. Yes, I'll miss her. But hey, I've always wanted to see Boston, and now I have the perfect opportunity (ies)!
This also got me thinking about how lucky I am to have so many close and wonderful friends in my life. (Disclaimer: The order in which I list the friends has no bearing on how much I value them in my life...)
~I have Auri (duh, who doesn't know that) and I will treasure our relationship for as long as I live. She is literally my rock.
~I have Noelle who I absolutely adore, because well, she's EXACTLY like me (give or take a few things).
~I have Paul & Brittany (they are now a collective whole) who I can't get enough of and who I truly enjoy spending every minute I get with them.
~I have Rose who is never afraid to say what she means and always entertains me with her grammatical faux pas.
~I have Jessica who laughs at everything I do... I didn't think I was that funny, but I enjoy that she thinks I am.
~I have Odum who is a very loving and compassionate soul and who has always told me what a wonderful person I am (sorry this is getting really sappy).
~I have Jen (and now Joe, her man, not the drummer) who I've really enjoyed getting to know better over this last year - she's so genuine, I love it - and Joe will obviously go out of his way to look after my best interests.
~I have Kasian who is so much fun to spend time with and helps me to remember I need to be smart with my moola (even though I'm pretty sure she doesn't know she does this).
~I have Angie C. and Di Bradley who I don't get to see as much as I'd like, but we are always able to pick up right where we left off without a hitch.
~And then I have my new friend Lisa (and the beeotch is in Hawaii right now) who is always the life of the party.
~I also have to mention all the friends I've made in blogland as well. I've truly enjoyed getting to know all of you through your blogs, even though I know most of us will never meet....
I truly never thought I'd be blessed with so many great friends. Most of the time, we tend to lose connections and relationships as time goes by. However, I've been fortunate enough to have the opposite happen for me and I wouldn't trade any of them for the world! Growing up and becoming an adult appears to suck for the most part. But the parts in between all the bullshit we have to sort through are so, so sweet.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Conversations with Wikiball
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























































9 comments:
Thanks for the kind words Salti. For the record, you are hilarious and I can't help that at 30 (almost 31) I still think farts are funny. Okay! Seriously though, whenever gratitude comes to mind the first thing I think of is family and friends are a very, very close second. I knew you were cool from our days back on the SF team and it has definitely played out as the truth. You're an awesome lady. Glad we grew together.
Right on, girl! This is an awesome post... there's nothing like reflecting on your life and realizing how good it really is, mainly due to the people in it! It's so great that you've managed to keep up with friends, rather than lose touch, like you said.
Thanks lady=) After moving to California I realized how few people have the kind of relationship that we do. We're more like sisters that don't fight and always like to hang out. We're pretty rare that way. I'm constantly learning and growing from you. You're like a sun the way you constantly draw people towards you with your gravitational pull; lighting and keeping them warm all the time. Love you.
I consider myself truly blessed to have found you for a BFF! I am so glad that we finally got together so we could "meet our other half" as it was put to me! You are a fabulous woman and I know that you make me be a better woman, just being around you! Mucho amore chica!
every time you say you're craving a dutch baby, i start having sympathy cravings!
Thanks Salti! It's so great to have wonderful friends. So glad I can help you with moola... really, I help you with your moola? You mean like how to best spend it, right?! :)
don't ya love blogland? i sure do. i love meeting great people like you on here. i am so thankful for my friends too. yours sound very sweet. unfortunately all of my friends seem to move away so i know that feeling all too well. my best friend, jessi, moved back to colorado back in october and it hurt so bad but i knew it was the best thing for her and her hubby and daughter...so i stayed happy for her! (i STILL wish she'd come home to me though!) anyway, i love your blog and i'm glad we are bloggy friends!
Awwwwww... thanks Ms. Salti!! :)
I hope you know how much I adore you (and your family)! You are such a special person to me. You are right... we don't get to see each other nearly enough!
I want to you to know that I think of you EVERY TIME I am at the gym because I listen to Janet Jackson to do part of my workout. :) It always makes me think of the MANY HOURS we spent together during dance company. Memories! *snif*snif* I LOVE YOU!
Jess - I love that my bodily functions make you laugh. If that's all I have to do to keep you around, I guess I'm set! I'm glad you decided to 'be my friend' when we were on SF. You rock.
Brooke - Thanks... and I'm happy to say you're one of my favorite blog friends! And to think it all started with me reading about the time you got suckerpunched at 3 AM in San Francisco!
Aurs - Thanks dudie. Love you, too. For the record, I always knew you'd move back from Cali...
Noelle - I am also very grateful to Rose for 'hooking us up.' You are wonderful and I love every minute I get to spend with you.
Jaime - Don't have sympathy cravings... come to Salt Lake and I'll take you to get one!
Karen - You're welcome. You always know how to help me spend it! But you seriously inspire me in the home-ownership department!
Kacy - Girl, you are awesome. If you ever come to Utah, or I ever go to your neck of the woods, we're going out for drinks!
Angie - I seriously adore you. Yes, we need to make a point of getting together more often. I REALLY wish you were coming to SF with us. Oh well, we'll have Vegas, I think. Oh the memories of dance company... I should pull some pics out and scan them for the blog...
Post a Comment