Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Don't Tell Me Who To Love

If I want to love a man, then damnit, I will love him with every piece of my soul regardless of what anyone says. If I want to love a woman, the same goes. (Just for the record, I want a man to love!) On Friday night there was a protest against Proposition 8 in downtown Salt Lake. I wanted to go, but wasn't sure if I'd have anyone to go with. Well, lo and behold, Odum, Dale and Jessica were all planning on going, so I was set.
I picked up Jessica from her house and planned on meeting Odum and Dale, as well as her cousin down there. Once we made our way to City Creek Park where the protest was being held, I was pretty sure we would never find anybody... there were so many people there, I was amazed. I think they said the final turn out was somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 people! In Salt Lake? Yeah, I know! We finally found Odum and Dale along with her cousin...but we never caught up with our other friends that were down there. Anyway, Jess and I had a hard time hearing the speakers because there were so many people, so we didn't really get the full effect, but the energy of the crowd was awesome. It was so great being surrounded by such a huge group of like-minded individuals who feel that overall, love is the most important thing in this world. Not religion, not politics, not money, not social status.
The one sign I saw that really got to me said something to the effect of, "No one has the right to tell my daughter who she can love." I'm not going to get into the issue any further, simply because I'm tired and having writer's block. But just know that I adamantly opposed Proposition 8 (even though I don't live in Cali) and I have major issues with those who supported it!!!!!
I honestly wish/hope/pray that I will be able to witness the option of marriage become a right to anyone and everyone in this country sometime in my life. Call it what you want... civil union, marriage, gobbledeegook, whatever... but there is no reason two people who love each other shouldn't be able to legally spend their lives together and reap the benefits of that union.
Enjoy the pictures I posted. This last one is of the crowd marching from the park to the LDS Church Office Building, and the bus stuck in the middle of the road. It was pretty funny... although, I know if I was stuck in my car in that traffic, I would have thrown a fit!

And to all my gay bungholes out there, I love you and support you in all you do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching the blogs about Prop 8 and think it's a bizzare time where people are told their union will not be recognised. A marriage is a marriage whether it's between people of the same sex or different sex...

Thanks for visiting my blog - it was a lovely start to my day to find your comments :)

SchmOdie said...

Erica you will never know how much it meant to me to have you their and your support.
Thank you! We will see marriage for all in our lifetimes.
I love u Salti!