Forgive me, this is going to be a long post, but there are lots of pics to help keep you entertained!

On Friday afternoon (2 weekends ago), my BFF Noelle and I packed all our shit in the back of her car (including her dog) and took off for Southern Utah to rough it. Now, y'all know I don't camp. Camping is not my thing. In fact, Auri got me an air freshener for my car for Christmas, and it says, I Love Not Camping. Very fitting. Anyhoodle, this was going to be my version of camping (aka roughing it) for the weekend.

We drove South and made it to Torrey in exactly 3 hours and 10 minutes cuz we're good like that. On the way, we passed these beautiful lavendar fields near Nephi that I didn't even know existed. It's not like I haven't driven on this road 100 times before, but I think they're fairly new. Really pretty, in any case.

Once we got to town we had to make our way to the gate on the property and I had to try and get it open. I dubbed myself the "Gate Bitch" for the weekend because I was always the one who got out and unlocked it. Once you make it through the gate, it takes another 5 minutes to drive on the winding dirt road to the house. We got to stay at The Rock House, named as such because it blends in with the scenery and cannot be seen easily from a distance. The outside of it is also made of stone (correct me if I'm wrong, Nellie). The pic above is the back side of the house.

Noelle and I got everything unloaded and got settled in. By that time it was about 6:30 or 7, so I decided to start dinner. I made home-made marinara sauce over pasta with salad and bread. It only took for fucking ever to get the water to boil to cook the pasta, but that gave the sauce a long time to simmer and it was wonderful (if I do say so myself)! In the meantime, the two of us polished off two bottles of wine, so it was all good!

This was the sunset the first night we were there.... isn't it gorgeous? I'm so happy Noelle's camera caught it so well! After dinner we hung around and watched a few episodes of True Blood from Season 1... and then headed to bed. I think I writhed around in a heat-induced psychosis for a good 2 hours before falling asleep. Not fun. In the morning we dorked around, ate breakfast and got dressed... and then Rose announced her arrival so we went to let her in at the gate.

On Saturday morning, The Trifecta converged in Torrey. So did the clouds... and yes, we managed to make it rain in Torrey. If you're city is having a dry spell, give us a call, we can take our show on the road! Actually, I think it got really cloudy but we only managed to have a big wind storm on Saturday. We saved the rain for Sunday.

Later in the afternoon we decided to get our Rooftop Pool set up. Keep in mind, this house is gorgeous, but has no air conditioning... it's in the middle of the desert. Even though it's pretty high in elevation (around 7500 feet, I think) it still manages to get pretty warm! Because of the heat, we had this fab idea to take a blow-up pool down there with us, so Noelle bought us a pool and even remembered to bring the electric pump! Pictures thanks to Hans (Rose) our photographer! He was Fahbulous Dahling!

We got it blown up and up to the roof (which is the deck), but then we had to figure out how to get the hose up there. I tried throwing it... that didn't work so well, so we tried to find some rope or twine to tie to it to get it up there. I grabbed the dog leash, jimmy-rigged it to the hose and Noelle pulled it up. I believe the words that came out of her mouth were, "We're fucking Girl Scouts!" We got our supplies (swim suit, towel and books) and jumped in. It was a bit nippley at first, but we adapted! Like I said, my kind of Roughing It!

After we chilled in the pool, Rose decided she wanted to go for a drive and I joined her. We left Noelle at the house to chill. We drove up through Capitol Reef National Park and looked around. Not much has changed since last Fall! I am utterly in awe of Rose. I'm amazed at the way she drives. The ADD is really fascinating. At one point we were going 60 mph on a curvy road, she was looking out the window at the scenery and then at her nails. As you might imagine, I panicked a bit. I convinced her to let me drive back (which may or may not induce it's own kind of panic as I'm not a pro at driving a 5-speed)!

The park is gorgeous and if you get a chance to check it out, do. I've got some pics on my other camera that I need to load, so I'll share those when I get them! On the way back we grabbed dinner at the local burger joint and took it back to Noelle (because it was Rose's night to do dinner... she didn't cook, she purchased)! Let me just say that melted shakes are difficult to transport via car on a bumpy dirt road! The burgers were great, though! That night we hung around again, drank, read, crocheted and watched another episode or two of True Blood.
On Sunday morning we got up and took a walk around the property. I think the house sits on 75 acres or something. It was fun to explore the area and check it all out. We saw some pretty big paw prints in the mud and assumed they were from a mountain lion.... FYI - don't wander in the desert after dark. You may run into a Desert Hobo, or a Vampire, or a Mountain Lion... all scary beings!

Charlie had had it pretty early on so we had to turn around and take him home. After we dropped him off it started raining. Yes, rain. So what did I do? I took off my top and danced in the rain. It was quite the liberating experience. And since no one was around, it wasn't a big deal. Had there been neighbors, we might have had a problem! (The other two may or may not have joined me in my topless escapade)! Note to self: When we converge, it rains. If we take off our tops and dance in the rain, it will stop.
After our Rain Dance, we headed to the park to go on a little hike. We drove up to the Sunrise/Sunset Trail and as soon as we got out of the car, it started raining again. It actually felt really good to hike in the rain, but as a result, I didn't take my camera with me. Oh well, next time. The trail is only 1/3 of a mile and it's pretty flat, but that's my kind of hike! No danger? I'm in!

Back at the house we were all a bit tired so we ended up taking naps. It was great! I was woken up by Rose being woken up by her iPod alarm. I guess she set it to turn on at a certain time and the volume was up really loud, so she kind of screamed. It was a "I'm-half-asleep-and-don't-know-what-the-hell-that-loud-noise-just-was" kind of scream. It was pretty comical! After that we hung around some more, read, crocheted, and listened to music.
After we all got nice and liquored up, we went up on the roof to take in the scenery. It was beautiful. Generally when you think of chilling on a roof while drunk, bad images are conjured up. Have no fear, this roof was entirely safe, and so were we. We also took an obscene amount of blurry pictures... I wonder why none of them turned out? Oh yeah, because we couldn't hold the camera still! I was hell-bent on getting a picture of the drink... don't ask me why, I don't know!
8 comments:
I want to go on vacation with you!! True Blood, sunbathing, drinking, good friends and NO MAKEUP!!! YAY!!
Looks like you had alot of fun! That is also my idea of roughing it! I HATE TENTS!
Oh btw. I LOVE the pool!!
Wow, that house is beautiful and the pictrues of the sunset and tree are amazing!!! Glad you had fun :) So do you have more travels planned for the summer?
The first time you blogged about the marinara recipe (I believe it is Auri's, right?) I asked you to post it for all of us to try. Pretty please?
Wow, looks absolutely lovely and so much fun!
Anna - You're more than welcome to join us anytime!
SB - I'm so with you! Tents suck!
Elisha - I will post it on RTT tomorrow!
Ali - It was a blast... thanks for stopping by!
more great pics. i'm totally jealous.
please tell me that you ran into a mountain hobo with a propensity to bite necks. or lie to me, at the very least.
Jaime - Thanks, and sorry you're jealous!
Kara - I think this is my favorite comment of all time! It's going on RTT!
Post a Comment