Monday, March 1, 2010

Reminiscing and The Education of a 17-Year-Old

On Friday night Noelle, Mimi and I got together for a little crafting. Now, if you've read my blog for a while, you'll know that my crafting comes in spurts, so be prepared to hear about upcoming projects... although, I think most of it will be focused on the house from here on out. Therefore, I guess I should refer to it as home-improvement projects, not crafting... I digress...

Anyway, we had a fabulous time making flower hair clips for ourselves, our friends and family... if you're nice, you might expect one or two in the mail! Don't those two look like they have old fashioned swim caps on?

I'm not quite sure how we got on the subject, but we started talking about old school Janet Jackson... you might remember her from her album Janet, which was the one we reminisced the most about. To our astonishment, Mimi confessed she doesn't really know that much about Miss Jackson... so naturally, we pulled up our favorite videos on youtube and gave her a mini education. We watched videos for "That's The Way Love Goes," "If," "Love Will Never Do Without You," and this one.... one of my favorite performances ever!


This was from the 1993 MTV VMAs - I can't tell you how many hours I spent in front of the TV trying to learn the choreography from that performance. Loved it! (Hey, I was 14, don't judge.)

After the Janet-a-thon, we watched Bell Biv Devoe's video for "Poison." If you don't recall it's awesomeness, Google it. It'll bring the memories a-floodin' back. That girl is poi-ee-zunnnn!

A few of you may recall a group from the early '90s by the name of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch... we made Mimi watch part of the "Good Vibrations" video as well. Don't try and tell me you didn't think it was hot... the video, or Marky Mark. I looked for a picture of him from back-in-the-day, but I couldn't pass up the one on the left. The man is effing sexy.

Last, but certainly not least, we exposed Mimi to a little bit of the Rico Suave... aka Gerardo. You know you loved this song when it was popular. Stop lying to me and yourself. (I kept the picture small so as not to cause any of you a migraine.) Don't tell me that you're not looking up the video on YouTube right now... It's ok, I'll wait...

Needless to say, Mimi was quite impressed with Janet, not so much with Gerardo. We didn't say he was good, just entertaining!

Famous quotes from the evening:
"Is this a sport?" - Mimi, upon walking into my house and seeing the curling competition on TV.
"That's a pretty big dinosaur..." - Mimi, in regards to the dinosaur at the Sinclair station that her Aunt Nellie wants to ride.

9 comments:

Mike said...

That stuff brought back a lot of memories! That Rico Suave thing made me want to puke! I hated that.

One thing that I remember about Marky Mark, was that he was trying to be taken seriously and then did an underwear ad. lol

Kristina P. said...

Man, this takes me back! Thanks for signing up on Mr Linky! Do you know Stephanie?

I look forward to meeting you while I shove my face with heat lamp warmed meat. Mmmmmmmm.

Brooke said...

I vaguely remember all this stuff.... I was 7 in 1993! Hahaha... but my older brother was into it and I definitely have laughed at the cheezyness of Gerardo over the years, especially when VH1 does their shows on the 90's. Classic!

Anonymous said...

I hate Gerardo. My brother and I would jokingly run around the house singing "Rico Suave".

I loved Bel Biv DeVoe. I had their album. I still have "Poison" on my
mP3 playlist. I was so excited when they were on Fresh Prince of BelAir and they were filming a video in the Banks' house!

Marky Mark IS so sexy. Then and even more now. I watch alot of movies just for him. hehe. Old school Janet was the best. I loved the video for "If". Did you like old school TLC? Like "What about your friends?" and " I ain't too proud to beg"? They were one of my favorites!

Ahhh good times!

Jessica said...

Say hello to yo mutha fo me.

Jaime said...

wow! marky mark and rico suave. what a blast from the past!

steenky bee said...

Never trust a big butt and a smile. Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.

kara said...

wow, we live parallel lives. i just rented My So Called Life. yes.

and last night i made B look up Taylor Dayne so he'd get a 30 Rock joke and the song he played...i knew all the words to. all of them. i can't remember where my keys are currently, but i'll sing you "Tell it to my Heart".

Ms. Salti said...

Otin - Sorry for making you nauseous! He was sexy in that underwear... give him a little credit!

Kristina - Stephanie who? I'm not sure... I'm excited for the meet up.

Brooke - Oh yes, I forget you're a few years younger than I am...

SB - Marky Mark = Yummm! I was never really into the BBD, but they were entertaining.

Jess - What up to Marge.

Jaime - I figured everyone needed to reminisce (sp?) a bit.

Steenky - Seriously... wait, which song is that from?

Kara - I LOVED MY SO CALLED LIFE. It was like it was made for me when I was in 9th grade. Oh, and Taylor Dayne, loved her! We should karaoke "Tell it to my heart!"