Friday, March 26, 2010

The Kitty On Her Titty and The Rest of Their Ink

***The pics here are not my grandparents' tattoos... but I will get you some***
For my Grandpa's 70th birthday he decided he wanted to get his bluebirds from the war redone. He had one on each of his shoulders and were looking sickly. They had faded pretty badly and just looked like blue lumps, so they went over to Southern Thunder Tattoo and talked with Bones. Bones ended up redoing his tattoos and adding color, and they turned out looking great!

Queue in Grandma's 70th birthday a few months later. She had been talking about getting a tattoo for a while but none of us really thought she'd follow through on it. So for her birthday, Grandpa bought her a gift certificate to get a tattoo and she marched on down to the shop, sat down in Bones' chair and let him go to work. The result? She has a kitty on her titty. I'm serious.

During the same visit to the Tattoo parlor, Grandpa got another one... it's a couple of dolphins jumping out of the water, and located on his upper thigh.

Fast forward to their 73rd birthdays and the both of them went in for more ink. They said they were going to wait 'til 75, but weren't sure they'd make it that far, so they moved it up a few years. Grandma got a new tattoo of a Koi Fish on the back of her right shoulder. Grandpa's new one is of a topless red-headed mermaid on the top of his other thigh.

I don't have pictures... I'll work on that!

After my grandma's first tattoo we had a family party at my parents' house for her birthday. She walked in the door, did this thing she does where she whips her boob out of her blouse and showed the tattoo to my dad. My dad took off so damn fast out the back door, I thought he was gonna eat shit. As he was running and covering his eyes, he said, "I don't even know that woman!" We haven't stopped laughing 12 years later!

So, if you ever get the chance to meet my grandparents and you're interested in ink, ask them to show you theirs. Just be forewarned, you WILL see my Grandma's boob. Just ask my friends, they've all seen it!

P.S. She says the cat's eyes look like MY mom's!

15 comments:

Mr. Condescending said...

Hahah that's so cool.

The cat one is pretty awesome, even more so as its on her tit!

I wanna see the topless mermaid.

sara2delta said...

OMG thays amazing! i hope im still getting tattooed at 73....

Anonymous said...

Tattoos in their 70s! Wow!! Love it!

Brooke said...

That's so rad... I've been thinking about getting inked recently and this just goes to show that I shouldn't wait!

Robert the Skeptic said...

Interesting factoid I found on the Interweb: "A national survey of adults shows that Democrats are more likely to have tattoos (18%) than Republicans (14%) and Independents (12%), but regret for getting them is highest among Republicans."

Mrs Anne said...

you have the coolest grandparents, hands down.

J's gma (age 80) wants to get a tattoo when she is out here waiting on the baby.... J's mother says "dont you dare"... needless to say, I think she'll be getting one.

have a great weekend sweet pea!

Mrs Anne said...

OH! and P.S. I am flying into SLC in June for a baby shower with J's fam in Roy/Ogden... we should get together! :)

Anonymous said...

Your grandparents are cool! I still can't believe your grandmother whipped out her boob! That's hilarious! I want a tattoo!

Captain Dumbass said...

Your grandparents are awesome! Can't even imagine what my back will look like when I'm that age. Whatever, I'll be the curmudgeonly old man all the little kids are scared of.

Big Mama Cass said...

Your grandparents sound fucking fantastic! I must meet them. Sooner rather than later. MUST!

Ms. Salti said...

Mr. C - That's not actually her tat... but I'll get a pic of that and the mermaid for you soon.

Sara - Is this Miss Q? I can hardly tell by your picture! Yeah, the grandparentals are pretty crazy.

Jules - Yep... and now they're 82... I think I forgot to mention that.

Brooke - Find something you like, find an artist you like and do it. I love mine and can't wait for my next one.

Robert - That factoid doesn't surprise me, really. Funny thing is, my grandparents are Repbublicans!

Miss Anne - They're pretty fun. Tell J's grandma to go for it, and tell her mom not to worry about it! And I'm ALL for meeting up when you're here!

SB - Get one next time you come to visit us! And I'll take you to visit my grandparents... you can see their tats!

Captain - I hope your back doesn't sag too much over the next 40 or 50 years. And I can sooo see you being the curmudgeonly old man yelling at the kids in the neighborhood to stay off his lawn!

Cass - I'm seeing a trip to Utah in your future, sooner than later!

Mike said...

Am I sure that I want to see these tattoos? LOL

Jaime said...

interesting tats... i could never figure out anything that memorable that i wanted to have it permanently emblazoned on my flesh...

the current wife... said...

I love seeing your comments! I've missed you!

I don't even want to know how you got that pic of your grandma's kitty :)

Andhari said...

Your grandparents are bad-ass! Awesome!:)