Thursday, October 23, 2008

Torrey Part Deux

Ok, so I think I left off with us driving through the park. After we took the picture of Ripple Rock and the deer, we headed off to see the Goosenecks. We drove up to the area and had to walk about 30 yards to get to the lookout point. Once we were up there, I realized my bladder wasn't going to last much longer, so I decided I was going to be a big girl and pee outside, all by myself. Just for everyone's information, I can count on one hand the number of times I've peed in the woods. And yes, I've lived in Utah my whole life. And no, I don't enjoy camping. This picture below is from the top of the lookout at the Goosenecks. We originally planned to do the little hike on the trail, but it was freezing outside and none of us was really up to battling hypothermia... funny I mentioned hypothermia because we saved that for later in the afternoon. This next picture is actually the bush behind which I peed. I also took a picture of the evidence to show Auri... I needed proof, just in case she didn't believe me. I'll save y'all the horror of seeing that picture. I know, I'm strange, I have problems, I need therapy...But anyway... after we took in the view and decided it was too damn cold to do the hike, we walked back to the car and headed back toward town. We grabbed some food (and I'll save you the ten minutes of reading about that) and went back to the house to eat.

After lunch, Rose had a special moment and started a fire all by herself. Noelle and I were thankful she did a little later on. So by now it was about 4PM and we didn't have anything going on, so we decided we should get in the hot tub. It looked like a storm was rolling in and since all the weather reports said it was going to dump snow all over hell, we figured we better get in while it was still an option. Rose had mentioned that she would rather hot tub that night than in the afternoon. Noelle and I had asked what else she had going on that she couldn't hot tub now and then again later that night. Rose then reminded us that putting a wet swimsuit back on is never easy, or comfortable. Well, what's the most obvious solution to that problem? Get in the hot tub in your swimsuit now, get in naked when it's dark! (P.S. The pic below is Rose and Noelle at the Goosenecks lookout).
The three of us put on our swimsuits, grabbed our towels and headed out the back door. Let me back track a little bit and tell y'all that by this time, the weather had only gotten worse, but we were being brave and thought it would be our only chance. Rose flipped the cover off, we dropped our towels, wrapped them around the railing on the deck, and jumped in the water. Now, I'd like you to think back to the one time in your life when you were so cold you thought you were going to die... now multiply that by a billion, and that's how cold we were. The wind was blowing about 20 or 30 miles an hour. The temperature had to have dropped to around 25 degrees. And it started snowing. I'm not talking snow flakes falling down on our heads. I'm talking chips of ice were blowing sideways at gale force speeds into our faces. We kept trying to get warm by putting the water all over, but it only made the hypothermia worse. I have never felt such absolute pain from cold before. Our hair had frozen in certain places, and Noelle got a little frostbite on her left earlobe. I'm so not kidding! Needless to say, I think we lasted about four minutes in the hot tub before we said - Fuck it! - and ran back into the house. Noelle ended up having an asthma attack and had to get into a hot shower to warm up. I just stood in front of the wood-burning stove for a while. I honestly can't remember what Rose did to warm up. And wouldn't ya know it... not even five minutes after we had gone back inside, the storm stopped! No more wind, no more snow, nothing!The next few hours were spent recovering from the experience, and we decided to go out for dinner around 7:30 or so. Remind us to pack in all of our food next time. Dinner wasn't that good.... I won't go into it, not worth writing about. Anyway, we got back to the house, and guess what? It was warmer that night than it was earlier in the afternoon, so naturally, we decided to try the hot tub one more time. Now, recall our conversation from earlier in the day... we stuck to our decision. We each got undressed, grabbed our towels and started cracking up. Rose had the idea to grab a small towel to wrap around her head to shield it from the wind (by the time we decided to get back in, a breeze had kicked back up - seriously, with the timing)! So, the three of us walked outside, dropped the towels, wrapped them around the railing again, and hopped in the tub, all while laughing hysterically. The water was warmer this time around, we didn't have hurricane strength winds blowing at our heads, and we were armed with a backup plan... the towel for our heads. As we're in the hot tub, having a grand 'ole time, Noelle's towel blew off the railing and was heading off the deck into the bushes. Being the nice person that I am, and I was closest to the the "exit ramp," I offered to grab it. So yes, I jumped out of the hot tub, butt-ass naked, grabbed her towel, and wrapped it back around the railing. (Again, I find myself sharing waaaayyyy too much with you people.... why I do this to myself, I'll never know). I jumped back into the tub and got warmed up. Since the wind had kicked back up, Rose had wrapped her dishtowel around her head and was having sucess blocking the cold. I tried it out and decided it was a fabu idea.... the only problem was, Rose only grabbed one towel, it was getting wet, and Noelle and I each wanted one. Once again, being the fabulously nice and wonderful person that I am, I offered to run into the house to grab towels. I got out (still butt-ass naked), ran into the house, had to jump over the dog, grabbed three kitchen towels, and ran back outside. If Mary Jane knew the shenanigans that went on that night, she'd ban us all from the house forever. We were actually able to stay in the hot tub for a little over a half an hour because of Rose's idea. In the meantime, we were all rotating seats because some of them sat a little deeper than the others and thus we were able to get further under the water to keep warm. In the midst of playing musical chairs, we had an "incident." As we were moving, I heard Noelle shout, "Someone's foot just went up my ass!" I declared that it wasn't mine, and it obviously wasn't Noelle's, and that left Miss Rose. We nicknamed the incident the "Rogue Toe."
With that, I'm ending here. I will finish the Torrey story later... hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime, don't judge, and definitely don't laugh at me!

1 comments:

Auri said...

yes my love, I believe that you peed outdoors next to a bush... good job!