Monday, July 18, 2011

My Papa Means the World to Me

Lots going on around here in the changes department and not all of it is good.

My grandpa went into the hosptial on Thursday morning with pneumonia. He was doing really well when I visited with him on Friday, and by Saturday, he wasn't feeling great. I didn't see him yesterday but from the news I was given, he started off the morning really well and kind of declined later into the afternoon and early evening. By last night, the docs had decided to start him back on his rounds of antibiotics and start treating him with Lasix to get some of the fluid out of his lungs. First thing I heard this morning was that he was going to be placed on a ventilator for a short while to give his body a break. He's been working so hard to breathe that it's wearing him out. For whatever reason, they didn't intubate him this morning and he was on his own all day. By the time I went in to sit with him this evening at 6 PM, he didn't look well and it didn't seem like he was even there. By 6:30 the nurse said we needed to make sure the family was there (as in, the entire family) and she had called in pastoral care. They were moving him to ICU because he seemed to be going downhill fast. They got him transferred, the family made it to the hospital and we stood around and waited to hear what was and would be happening. Basically, they've got him sedated and he's on the ventilator for the next couple of days. He's got one nurse (her name is Tiffany) on with him tonight and she seems very competent. I wish I could say the same thing about the nurses he's had the last few days. Tiffany told us all to go home and get some rest because he was sedated, she's taking care of him, and she'll call us if anything changes.

So, there you go... my Monday in a nutshell. It fucking sucked.
Death and dying blows.
I've been crying since 6 PM and see no end to that in the near future.
We should all just be able to poof! it when our time is done. This bullshit with illness and cancer and dementia and disease just needs to go away. It doesn't do anything but make people hurt.

Please send your thoughts, prayers, good vibes and whatever else you can this way... my family needs it right now.

4 comments:

VEG said...

Good vibes to you all, Salti lady. Sorry for your pain. And all the best to your grandpa too.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you and your family :( So sorry, sweetie. Hang in there, your grandpa needs you. xoxo

Ali said...

Oh Erica, I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. Please know I am thinking of you all and sending love.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the reasons I don't wish to work in the hospital any more. Seeing the patients and the families of cancer and terminally ill patients just is heartbreaking.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. *HUGS* <3