Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Yoga Talk, Sunday Funday and Oh Shit, I'm Going Camping!

When I started thinking (shock, I know) and realized how little I've blogged lately I felt 1) guilty, 2) sad, 3) and then decided I didn't care! I did, however, decide I had a lot to get caught up on, so here goes...

Last week I was able to stay and work from home because of my back situation (I threw it out and was in bed for 2 days straight). The back is still having its moments, but I think I'm finally on the upswing!I took a yoga class last Tuesday hoping that would help alleviate some of the pain/stiffness I was having. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do all the poses and they didn't hurt. We had a different instructor fill in for our regular gal (who I totally adore) and I was also very pleased with his practice. He has a fantastic teaching style and I'm looking forward to taking more classes from him.Sunday proved to be MY official kick-off to Summer. Nellie and I made plans to meet our friend Natalie (who is also my neighbor) over at the pool for some long-needed catching up. Noelle invited her sis, Natalie invited a few of her friends, and before you knew it, the pool was packed! My bro ended up coming over with a group of his friends, as well... it was just one big happy family pool party! Some of the other neighbors supplied the music (via a kick ass sound system in one of the guy's truck, and then with a jimmy-rigged cooler that had 4 boat speakers built into it), and everyone else brought the beer. We ended up being out there for 6 hours!!! Such a fun time... hope we can do it again sometime!Last night I decided to take a yoga class at the studio I've been going to here in OKC. I haven't loved any of the instructors here thus far and thought I'd try something new. I attended a different class with a new teacher and really enjoyed it, but I would have liked more physicality in the class. I did, however, learn quite a bit, so that was really nice. My biggest issue with the way things are done at this particular studio is that everything is very physical (more of a workout), and less time is spent on breathing, being mindful and the spirituality of it all. (I realize that contradicts what I said a few sentences ago, so, to clarify, I wish there was less group chatter and discussion and more flowing movement. The teachers there seem to focus on "doing poses" and the "athletecism" of the poses, not the spiritual part that I love so much. I know that probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me...)Tonight I'm planning on attending a class at a new studio to see how I like it. It's a little further away from the hotel and office, but I'm really excited. What I've read on the website seems to jive more with what I'm looking for. I can't wait to see how it goes!Tomorrow I leave OKC and fly to Denver where my man is picking me up from the airport! I'm so excited to see him I could scream... or squeal... or snort... or all of the above! We're hanging out tomorrow night and then heading up to the mountains east of Colorado Springs for a 4-day camping trip. I'm kind of freaking out. Me. Going camping. What did I get myself into? Actually, I'm pretty excited, just a bit nervous. I hope I packed everything I need... guess I'll find out when I get there! Yep! Me. In the woods. Sleeping in a tent. Not showering. Oh God!

I actually get to stay in Denver until early Wednesday morning when I have to fly back to OKC. Sadly, I don't get to go home in between, but it all worked out really well this way. I'll just have to get over it! I have a feeling there won't be much blogging time between now and next Wednesday, so I'll try to be back that night with pics and a trip recap. Hope y'all have a great holiday weekend!!!

5 comments:

Jaime said...

if it makes you feel better, the yoga stuff makes sense to me. but probably only because i do it... ;) i thought all the breathing/mediation/spirituality stuff would drive me nuts. it doesn't, but i have to be in the mood for it. the place i go to has a class that is a workout (they use weights and everything) but everything else is a good mix between the two.

have a great time in denver. have fun camping. you'll be fine. even i can do camping... and my idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service :)

J said...

Believe it or not, I've never been camping. I'm so jealous of everyone that has! I hope you have a fabulous time!

I've recently started doing yoga with my Wii, and I love it! My balance is horrible, and I've got a lot of perfecting to do, but I'm getting better. Granted, it's not in a studio, and it's the simplest poses, but at least it's a start!

Hope you've had a great Wednesday!

Shell said...

Hope you find a yoga studio you like! I like a nice, flowing class. With a mix of poses, but all very calm and no one talking but the instructor.

Anonymous said...

Good luck camping. You would never get me to go in a tent! :)

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i can't stop starring at that ladies boobs!and i don't even like boobs!